Allotment History

The land occupied by Birchwood Lane Allotments was purchased on 1st October 1942 by Alfreton Urban District Council from Sheepbridge Coal & Iron Works, Chesterfield for £2310. The land was described as “land now occupied as allotment gardens” and was let to the Birchwood Prospect Gardener’s Association. The allotments covered 6.18 acres.

On the 12th April 1979, an agreement was signed between Amber Valley District Council and Prospect Allotments, Birchwood Lane Allotments Association.
The Council agreed to let the land known as Prospect Allotments Birchwood Lane Allotment Site to the Allotment Association, from 1st April 1978 to 31st March 1979, and annually thereafter, for the annual rent of £185.40.

In 1985 the rent charged to the Prospect Allotments Association was £284.28 per annum.

The allotments were transferred to Somercotes Parish Council on 6th April 1990, who signed an agreement with Prospect Allotments Association.

Around 2007, the Allotment Association became known as Birchwood Lane Allotment Association.

Since then, the allotments have gone from strength to strength, resulting in what we have today.

The committee hopes we can take the Allotments forward, to become the premier allotments in the area.